The above process did not work for my Ubuntu 15.10 server so I thought I would share what did work in case others find it helpful.
First I had to remove certain key PHP 5 modules:
sudo apt-get -y purge php5 libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-imap php5-intl php5-json php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-pspell php5-readline php5-sqlite
Then remove a few extra things that were left behind:
sudo apt-get autoremove
Then install PHP 7.0:
sudo apt-get install php7.0
Then as PHPMyAdmin was removed Apache2 wouldn’t start so I had to remove the config file (I could have moved it instead):
sudo rm /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/phpmyadmin.conf
Then I had to restart Apache2:
sudo service apache2 restart
PHP 7.0 was then running (confirmed with PHPINFO();)
However I have found the only way to get PHPMyAdmin working is to install/upgrade it manually as otherwise the latest version available in the sources doesn’t support PHP 7 yet.
**EDIT: I have now found a way to get PHPMyAdmin updated to a compatible version without having to clone from GIT or compile manually from sources so I am adding this below:
First add this repository, update sources list and upgrade (NB: if it has been removed during the upgrade to PHP7 you will need to install rather than upgrade it):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nijel/phpmyadmin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
However during installation (on my server) it had to run a database upgrade script upgrade_column_info_4_3_0+.sql but this failed with the following error:
mysql said: ERROR 1060 (42S21) at line 28: Duplicate column name ‘input_transformation’
I chose to ignore the error and complete the upgrade.
After installation I opened the .sql upgrade script at /usr/share/phpmyadmin/sql/upgrade_column_info_4_3_0+.sql
I ran the script manually removing the two offending lines trying to create 2 columns that already existed (code to remove):
ALTER TABLE `pma__column_info`
ADD `input_transformation` varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT ”,
ADD `input_transformation_options` varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT ”;
Finally I had to edit the config file at /etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php and add the following two lines:
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘designer_settings’] = ‘pma__designer_settings’;
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘export_templates’] = ‘pma__export_templates’;
After this PHPMyAdmin is successfully updated and the extended features are enabled.
Hope this helps others.